Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Giant Canadian Nightcrawlers

J

joeri

They are digustingly slimy when you chop them! Yuk!
But they are available in the local baitshop and my pleuro's like them (after cleaning them first).

Fortunatly they also sell the famous Belgian Nightcrawler, but only in small en medium size. Those I use for the morfs and my cynops. Only very little yellow secretion that is wiped away easy.

Not the most contributive topic ever on this forum, but I just needed to flap this out
happy.gif

P

pin-pin

Joeri, they are slimy! I have to wipe them when I chop them for my benefit more than the newts.
lame.gif

The only thing more horrifically slimy are banana slugs here in California, which produce a thicker--more "robust" slime. You cannot wash your hands of it without 3-4 washings!

ali

Reaction score
Since you guys brought this up, I have a question.
happy.gif

Are "nightcrawlers" okay to feed to newts? I mean, where I live, where they sell bait, they don't say what KIND of nightcrawlers they are.

Are these okay to chop up and feed to my newts? I would feed in a critter keeper and not in their tank to prevent the mess. I have one chinese fire belly and one rough-skinned newt. The chinese seems fine but the rough-skinned needs ALOT to eat! I think he would really appreciate these worms, but I wanted to make sure that the unidentified crawling creatures would be safe.

P

pin-pin

As long as they don't have any "fish enticing" additives that are often used for bait. (It will say on the label.)

The nightcrawlers should come in tubs and are quite good food. You may have to cut them up if your newt is not large enough to eat a whole one.

T

terry

Pin pin,
As for Eisenia hortensis,do you feed some of your newts whole worms? Mine seem to have no problem devouring whole worms. For the juveniles I do of course cut them up into bite size segments. Ugh yet yum at the same time!
Contrary to some people's advice the red ringed Eisenia foetidaworms are readily accepted by most of my newt species.

J

joan

Terry, I think this varies from animal to animal. My axolotls will absolutely inhale them, cut or not. But my Taricha refuse them. Picky little buggers.

P

pin-pin

Hey Terry,
I've never cultured Eisenia hortensis due to lack of space (not yet being able to afford a million-dollar house in the Bay area).
cry.gif

The nightcrawlers I feed to my animals are about about 6 inches long and about half an inch wide. So I typically cut them up, as none of my animals would be able to handle wormzilla.

A

alex

Those are the best worms. I feed them to my turtle now, and she takes them up like that! All though they are big worms, they last me a while with my turtle. Hopefully the same for when i get my axolotls.

G

gord

Joan:

My taricha had to be weaned onto crawlers. They wouldn't touch them at first (or any worms)..and in fact seemed to be repelled by them. Once they accepted the crawlers, they seemed to have trouble swallowing them. But now I've got my taricha eating them right up. I find if I cut the skinny back end of the worm and dangle it with tweezers, they are a lot more interested in eating crawlers. The newts will step right over them when the worms are laying on the bottom.

Gord

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!