Question: Is this an odd cycle? advice please

layna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Layna
So i understand the basics of cycling a tank, i thought i would be good at it this time haha (cycling my second tank)
The only thing that has thrown me is that when i tested the other day (api master test kit) i had;
Ammonia - 2
Nitrite - off the chart
NitrAte - 160 ppm

Is it normal to have so much nitrAte when the ammonia and nitrite are also still going through their process?

Ive tested again yesterday and ammonia was at 0 but nitrite is around 2ppm with nitrAtes just getting darker and darker

I guess my question is...Should i be worried about my cycle?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I suppose i should mention that in the first place i only ever added 4ppm of ammonia, and kept it topped up to 4ppm

Your tank is cycled. Your ammonia and nitrite are both coming down while nitrate gets higher.

Do a water change, add just a touch of ammonia. If it disappears within a day, you're done!

Okay great thanks :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back