Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please share pics here of your Axolotl setup if you use a CHILLER

yovillageidiot

Reaction score
My chiller pump, and filter take up so much room. Looking for new ideas, please share your chiller tank setups. Thank you.:crazy:

axowattyl

Reaction score
Seeing as you haven't got an answer and I've just worked out how to post pictures, I'll have a go...

This is my twin 6x2x2 chilled setup.

It's not dirty or cloudy, the color of the wall behind it doesn't do it justice.

The chiller is a Hailea HC1000BH, which both heats and cools.

It runs through an Eheim 2260 cannister filter BEFORE the chiller, and both are rated to well in excess of the amount of water I have.

Flow rate is high, so I've made a homemade spray bar in 40mm PVC that softens the current in the tank effectively.

Axolotls are top floor. Plenty of hides, plastic plants, no lights other than the light in the garage.

8 axies live here with room to spare, and get on well.

Downstairs is fully planted, and has white cloud minnows and 3 species of shrimp.

The top tank overflows into the bottom, so no chance of them getting in with the axies unless I put them there.

The idea was that while the plants/fish/shrimp cleaned up waste and purified the water, the fish and shrimp would breed and provide occasional snacks for the axies.

Hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped, as I gave the priority to the axies with water parameters, and the shrimp just won't breed well at such low temps.

The minnows do breed, but tend to eat their own eggs and baby shrimp.

The plants/moss help keep the water good though, and I'm looking at another variety of shrimp more suited to cold water, and possibly removing the fish altogether.

This is an overflow design that can handle really high flows, and doesn't involve drilling the tank. (google "PVC aquarium overflow")

Good thing is that it holds its prime even during power outages, and just starts flowing again when the power comes back on.

The filter hanging on the tank beside it is what I use to dechlorinate water when I do water changes.

I can only trickle it in at less than 1.9L/min, but there's no shock to the tank and I don't need chemicals.

There you go, hope that gives you some ideas!

sde

Reaction score
I know its off topic, but can I just say that axowattyl, those are some beautiful tanks you have there!

axowattyl

Reaction score
I know its off topic, but can I just say that axowattyl, those are some beautiful tanks you have there!

Thank you.

All done on the cheap... second hand tanks, home made plumbing.

Did spend on the filter/cannister though, as I wanted reliability and performance there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!