Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Choosing ornaments: tiger salamander tank setup

Harly

Reaction score
Hi friends!
I'm new, so this may be a dumb question... I'm setting up a tiger salamander tank and wanting to add large, smooth, river rocks. How selective should I be when choosing rocks in terms of safety? Are any old rocks off Amazon safe or are there pH/toxin/whatever precautions I should be aware of, and if so, is there a way to prepare them & make them safe, like soaking? I've had an axolotl for a while and learned a lot about what is and isn't safe through past mistakes, so I'd like to take all precautions this time around haha.
Thanks

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if you will find this helpful, but here is a link that includes rocks that are safe in an aquatic application (I believe they will also be safe in a terrestrial set up).

Axolotl Sanctuary Scroll about a third of the way down the page and you'll see the rock info.

I personally have not used rocks in with my terrestrial caudates - I prefer cork bark because it is light weight and, though I don't think it likely, I worry that salamander burrowing could make a surface rock unstable and then fall on the sal. But I am sure others have used rocks in their salamander set ups with no ill effects. As you have pointed out, I would recommend only using smooth rocks to protect delicate skin.

If you have not already seen it, here is the CC care sheet on Ambystoma mavortium/ Ambystoma tigrinum.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Good luck!

HJ

Tiger mom Tammy

Reaction score
HI! Sorry I'm a little late on this thread, but I will chime in anyway :) I'm the same as jewett, I have not used rocks in my setup because one of my Tiger Salamanders is a very persistent digger. I mean REALLY persistent. He would most definitely get himself in a pickle with rocks no matter where I positioned them. Plus, depending on your tank size, and how many you use, might be a hassle during tank cleaning. But that being said, I've seen nice setups with smooth rock/ stones. Seems to work for some, looking forward to what works for you. :)

Harly

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions! As it stands, I have the rocks (ended up going with craft river rocks from Michael's at the suggestion of the website provided) around my water dish as a kind of ramp. They seem to like it!

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 522
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!