Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Axolotl: Rearing young?

SmallishFae

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the forums- but I've been here often in the past reading & researching.

I've been looking into raising Axolotl for nearly a year now, and I feel like I'm ready to get going and raise a few! I'm thinking about buying a group of 20-30 eggs and raising them up- I'll keep one myself, and I have a wonderful mum & pop pet store who're interested in buying the rest. I don't have the eggs yet, I want to make sure I have everything I need first, and wanted to get some advice from you folks. So, my questions are as follows:

1) I plan on hatching the eggs in a 10 gallon aquarium heated to about 70F. Will I need to separate the larva into separate containers as they grow, or will they all be fine in the 10 up to sale size (3-4 inches?)/adulthood because there aren't many?

2) to those of you that sell young: what size do you sell at?

3) I plan on starting a red wiggler earthworm colony- will that be suitable as a main food source for my big juveniles and adults? Or will they need additional foods to be healthy?

4) will self raised daphnia be a suitable food source for newly hatched babies & bigger larva until they are large enough for a 3-4 inch worm? Red wigglers max out at 4 inches.

5) will a well established 20 gallon tank decorated as such be a good home for a pair of Axolotl? Lightly planted with jungle vallisneria, fine black sand on the bottom, a hollowed out piece of driftwood about 5-6 wide for a hide, a fluval 206 canister Filter with a sponge over the intake and spray bar over the output, and a finnex Ray LED light (3 watts per gallon- using it to keep my plants growing quickly and healthily). Do I need to add anything or change anything?

Any suggestions for a ''new mother" trying to hatch eggs for the first time? Thank you for taking the time to read- I appreciate and advice! These critters are so fascinating, and I'm really looking forward to raising them!

auntiejude

Reaction score
If you've never had axies before I suggest getting 1 or 2 juveniles first - eggs are hard work and you really need some experience before you get any.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1