Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axolotl??

kstrach15

Reaction score
Hello,

So I've had my two axies for about two weeks now, both are about 3.5-4 inches. They've been doing great and are eating fine (I feed them bloodworms and krill right now that I know are from fish free waters) but now my one wild type has a bend in his tail ): I

I checked the pH levels and everything seemed fine, except the water hardness was right in the middle to soft. I'm not sure if that means anything but I don't know why he could be stressed. He's been eating fine, the two of them get along great, the temp is perfect, I have two air pumps and a normal filter that attaches to the back of the tank.

Could it be possible that the current is too strong and he'd prefer a sponge filter?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

kstrach15

Reaction score
He also keeps sitting on the suction part of the filter which is making me nervous. Since I don't have a sponge filter, the filter I have sucks up the water and then disperses it back using the spray bar (which he loves to swim against that current) but he sits where it's sucking up water and I've had to unplug the filter multiple times bc he won't get off. And the fact that he swims against the current makes me feel like it's not the filter. I don't know what to do and I feel so bad, I hope he's okay ):

Biev

Reaction score
You could try adding a sponge or mesh around the intake to slow down the water flow?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!