Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Chinese fire belly newts not eating

masterofstuff

Reaction score
some great info in this thread. thanx all! I recently finished setting up my 20 gal long vivarium and thinking chinese/japanese firebellys will be the way to go. currently it just has some endlers(guppies) in it.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
some great info in this thread. thanx all! I recently finished setting up my 20 gal long vivarium and thinking chinese/japanese firebellys will be the way to go. currently it just has some endlers(guppies) in it.

There are a lot of fully aquatic newts that would be good for a 20 gallon, finding aquatic CB H. orientalis may be difficult, and I don't know how often C. pyrrhogaster comes up. Triturus sp. are always a good choice. There isn't much for sale right now other than like Axolotls, but there should be some morphs available in upcoming months.
And you're going to more than likely want to remove the fish as well

Viridescens

Reaction score
Well, maybe they're just settling in, but I would try a pre-pelleted food( could be for frogs, fish, newts ). It's non moving, so maybe that would work as opposed to some other foods. And moving the food manually might help, too, though your hand may look threatening, so you might want to try tweezers. Good luck!

Vaneshka44

Reaction score
HELP (´・×・`)
also having the same problem but mine could easily hunt earthworms in the cage but refuses to eat their pellet which I recently boight for them.
How do I know if my newts are already hungry?
How often should I feed them earthworms? (Once a week?)
As for pellets should it be daily?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!