Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Best terrarium setup for morphed axolotl

sal10

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m in Australia I’ve bought a morphed axolotl I’m trying to figure out what kind of salamander he is. He’s dark grey with white spots. He’s quite small and young. I currently have him in a tank with fine sand slanted so half is in about an inch of water. He has a little cave to hide in. He spends most of his time in the water and has shed a couple of times. He eats occasionally but not much. Just earthworms which I breed in a farm with no chemicals.

I just want to know if I’m doing the right things and if I could
Make his home a bit better for him. I don’t know if fine sand is the best for him. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, if you're certain that he is indeed a morphed Axolotl you can keep him like a Tiger Salamander. Here's a good article about Tigers to get you started, although you can always tailor it towards his individual preferences, a bigger water area if he spends more time there for example, but most morphed axies do just fine with some nice dirt to burrow into.
Hope this helps. :)

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

sal10

Reaction score
96A67F38-FC36-444A-94A5-09BECB5F150B.jpg3EACD53F-334E-4FA0-9042-3354F90420A7.jpg

This is now his enclosure I have coco peate on the floor and a pond for him that’s about an inch deep. I’d this adequate?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that looks like the set up my friend has for his Tiger sals, just be careful of the dirt becoming too waterlogged and the water getting too dirty and he should be happy as a clam in there. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!