Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Removing sand from axolotl tank

dsktrn

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for removing the residual amounts of sand from the bottom of my axolotl tank (while she's still in there). I've used a dust pan to scoop up most of it and suctioned the rest; however, there's still quite a bit of sand and debris at the bottom that isn't getting sucked up by the vac.

I've bought her new rocks and decorations in hopes of reducing stress that may occur from not having the sand to grip onto and have taken the sand out over a period of time to try not to upset the balance of the aquarium completely. I'm starting to experience a bit of haziness in the tank since doing this, and I'm wondering when I should be worried (if it's bacterial bloom or something of that manner has happened).

Thank you!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
The only way to completely remove it all is probably to drain it unfortunately. If you have lots of buckets it'll make it easier as you can just keep the water to refill the tank back up.
The cloudiness could be a bacterial bloom, as a result of the loss of substrate. It should clear up in a few days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!