Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! there's a lump in her mouth!

S

sandra

I hope someone can help me out there. this is our second Axie and I'm not sure what is wrong with this one. she's not eating, and looks really thin. She's sitting on the bottom of the tank with her mouth hanging open, and when you look inside, there seems to be a growth or lump growing on the top of the inside of her mouth. Its the same colour as the rest of her, but it's getting bigger and it doesn't look like there's a lot of room for food to go down. she's right off her food, and a couple of times we thought she'd already joined the choir invisible. There are some things in the tank that look like eggs - I think they're from snails. Does anyone know whether or not snails are ok to have in there? Could they have caused this lump in her mouth? Should I get rid of the snails and if so, how?

L

luke

Snails are fine in there. The only thing u have to worry about is the snails attacking your axie or the other way around. Other wise snails cant do any serious damage. About the lump i don't know, my advice is to see a vet that does amphibians

S

shaun

I'd give similar advice- see a vet that knows about amphibians. The "eggs" could be young limpets. If they are then just push them up the glass and out of the water and do whatever (e.g. chuck 'em in the bin).

S

sandra

I've just had a look down the side of her body with a small torch, and she has a series of very small lumps on the side of her tail, past her rear legs. Is there any possibility there is some sort of parasite in the water? When we got her, I bought 2 clumps of that ribbon weed stuff, and there's those egg things on that as well. could something have hitched a ride, and caused all this? I'm going to try to get a picture of her mouth.

S

shaun

It's likely that it's parasites. Try doing a search in the forum- something's bound to come up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!