The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Old 30th April 2012   #21
Janusz Wierzbicki
(Yahilles)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: What Is Your Favorite Genus of North American Plethodontids?

grapeape, do you have pictures of your quadramaculatus and their setup? I'd love to see them!

Old 9th June 2012   #22
grius
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 7
Rep: grius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Maybe a stupid question. But Is there any bolder species among all those listed in the thread? One that don't run and hide as fast one stands beside the cage or when feeding?

It's hard to find this type of information when searching the forum threads, and I'm also new to Plethodontids.

Regards.

grius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012   #23
Thomas
(ozarkhellbender)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneides View Post
Actually, Pseudoeurycea belli might occur in AZ.

Aneides
I have heard of this, and I plan to make it out there one day.

Old 10th June 2012   #24
Thomas
(ozarkhellbender)

Nationality:
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by grius View Post
Maybe a stupid question. But Is there any bolder species among all those listed in the thread? One that don't run and hide as fast one stands beside the cage or when feeding?

It's hard to find this type of information when searching the forum threads, and I'm also new to Plethodontids.

Regards.
Eurycea lucifuga and Eurycea guttolineata are quite bold. When kept in an aquatic setup, Pseudotriton ruber also become bold, but I prefer to keep mine in a terrestrial setup. My Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis aren't shy necessarily. They prefer to stay hidden, but will not run away when discovered.

Old 10th June 2012   #25
grius
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: grius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkhellbender View Post
Eurycea lucifuga and Eurycea guttolineata are quite bold. When kept in an aquatic setup, Pseudotriton ruber also become bold, but I prefer to keep mine in a terrestrial setup. My Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis aren't shy necessarily. They prefer to stay hidden, but will not run away when discovered.
Thank you for that information. Now I can do some more reading.

Regards.

grius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012   #26
Jari Boerboom
(Jari B)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Jari B has shown reliable knowledge

I love Plethodontids, because of their slender looking. I have Eurycea bislineata and they are so quick and agile hunters, no cricket is safe for them

Eurycea is really my favorite :)

Jari B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012   #27
bewilderbeast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: bewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'm a big fan of Aneides myself, and they are the only plethodontid genus I keep....

But my Favorite genus has got to be Batrachoseps.

Mostly because they are so under-appreciated. They are diminutive and rather common backyard salamanders for the most part and people don't really notice them or get too worked up about them. But I like em!

They are almost exclusively a California genus.... which I like.
There are most certainly undescribed species still out there.... 3 were just given full species status bringing the number of species to around 25, i believe.

I recently discovered an unknown population in a region of California thought to be devoid of terrestrial salamanders. After DNA analysis, they turned out to be Hell Hollow slender salamanders and not a new species.... but it was a huge westerly range extension into habitat that was not at all typical of these animals. on top of this, I found multiple individuals under the same cover. On a good day in typical habitat you would be lucky to find even one.

Now I am hooked on discovering unknown populations of Batrachoseps.

bewilderbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012   #28
Thomas
(ozarkhellbender)

Nationality:

I'm a big fan of Batrachoseps spp. also, and I'd like to keep them if I ever got the chance.

Right now, I just have Eurycea spelaea.

Old 20th November 2012   #29
bewilderbeast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: bewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

OH YEAH! I almost forgot about HYDROMANTES..... they are awesome! California has all the best caudates.

even if its second best to appalachia so far as number of species.

bewilderbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012   #30
Scott
(Lugubris)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Lugubris has given good advice and informationLugubris has given good advice and informationLugubris has given good advice and information

I would say Aneides for sure, I love their personality. Discovering a few A. lugubris recently rekindled my passion for salamanders, especially Plethodontids.

I used to find Batrachoseps attenuatus and Coast Range newts in my hometown all the time when I was a kid, and I even found a few Dicamptodon tenebrosus once while on vacation. Unfortunately, about ten years ago I noticed a sharp decline in the number of amphibians in my hometown and had a hard time finding them, which I am sure had something to do with pollution (there's an oil refinery, and a junkyard that has old cars leaking oil and probably PCB's into a creek, not to mention all the littering).

Because of that, I almost forgot about fieldherping; until a walk through the woods in my new hometown the other day yielded a nice surprise. The A. lugubris that I found were the first salamanders I had seen since the D. tenebrosus I saw over 5 years ago.

Lugubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012   #31
Jefferson

Nationality:
Rep: Jefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and information

Honesty, it depends on what region you are in. I don't keep many sallies, but I field herp all the time. If I had to pick two genuses of salamanders, they would be Plethedon and Desmognathus, my first sallies were in GSMNP, and of these genuses. Nothing should excite the salamander enthusiast more than a Plethedon on an eastern mountaintop with mist rolling around the spruce-fir forest in the early morning sun. Sorry, I tend to go on tangents about GSMNP from time to time, mostly because I haven't been there in two years. As for the rest of the nation, it's Pseudotriton and Ambystoma all the way.

Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015   #32
Kauveh

Nationality:
Rep: Kauveh has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Ensatina.

Kauveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015   #33
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Aneides is my favorite genus of plethodontid. Prehensile tail, arboreal habits, TEETH and sticky finger tips. Species in this genus have great features.

Ensatina is a honorable mention.

Old 17th July 2015   #34
Tristan Clark
(Herphunter1998)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: Herphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and information

Hard to choose... two of my favorites are Aneides and Pseudotriton.

Herphunter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015   #35
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 150
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hard to say, but I vote the dusky salamander group

Sith the turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016   #36
CaesarsAnimals

Nationality:
Rep: CaesarsAnimals is an unknown quantity at this point

Pseudoeurycea belli do not occur in Arizona the farthest north is an isolated population in northern Mexico.

CaesarsAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote