Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Missing bits/Pink spots on my Melanoid

Maerisheep

Reaction score
Little under two months ago we got two 3 inch Axies (one Leucistic, one Melanoid).We kept them in a 20 long tank, with a couple hides and fed twice a day with bloodworms.

About a week ago I noticed that the Melanoid was missing a bit of a tail. I attributed it to an unfortunate accident, as I feed them in the tank and assumed maybe there was a leftover wormie that caused the Lucy to bite its tankmate. The missing tail then became a missing limb. By then I already had set up a 30 long breeder that was almost ready to go. I was planning on switching them tonight but when I came back home I found my poor little guy all mauled up, missing a gill.

They are now separated, with the Leucistic in the 20 gallon and the Melanoid in a tupperware ('til I'm done setting up the chiller). Now not only do I have to come up with a way to keep them separate (I don't think I will be able to keep both tanks), but I'm also worried my little guy might have gotten some sort of skin issue. He developed this vitiligo looking spots almost overnight. His appetite hasn't changed much luckily, but I want to do something before it worsens.

Any ideas what might have caused the decoloration? Or the sudden a-holey behaviour of the Lucy (they used to get along quite well before).
Thank you in advance for any advice/ideas ><

Ps.: Just tested the water today and everything was fine. The Leucistic is in perfect conditions

Before:

pwCuxP8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pwCuxP8.jpg

XDjYm10.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XDjYm10.jpg

After:

7dnkbsx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7dnkbsx.jpg

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
it looks like the "decoloration" is missing skin, like a really bad skinned knee (ouchie). the good news is that your little guy can regrow that missing skin, hand and tail end in just a few weeks, maybe a month or two

id keep the injured guy in isolation until his wounds are healed over, then you could get a tank divider (or make one) for the 30 gal tank to keep this from happening again.

Maerisheep

Reaction score
Should I take any extra measurements? I was thinking about buying Indian Almond Tree leaves.
The 30 gallon breeder is already running and placed a divider right in the middle (funny how they keep hanging right next to each other at the divider).

The Lucy is eating like there's no tomorrow, but the Mel, while he does take a couple bites, is not eating like it used to.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Should I take any extra measurements? I was thinking about buying Indian Almond Tree leaves.
The 30 gallon breeder is already running and placed a divider right in the middle (funny how they keep hanging right next to each other at the divider).

The Lucy is eating like there's no tomorrow, but the Mel, while he does take a couple bites, is not eating like it used to.

indian almond leaves are good, the tannins help with healing so id use them if one of mine got hurt like that. fresh driftwood will also put tannins in the water if you were planning on getting a new piece of mopani wood this might be a good excuse ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1