Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Shedding Slime Coat/Decreased Appetite?

Stevedoesthings

Reaction score
I did my axolotl's normal weekly water change yesterday and shortly after I noticed what I believe is the slime coat around the gill area coming off, almost like shedding. It was very soon after the water change which has me a little stumped since I do age and use Prime conditioner for my water. The skin all came off the gills within a few hours and he does look quite normal now. On top of that I have noticed a decrease in his appetite recently, he has still been eating but he is usually an absolute monster eater and wants to eat constantly, whereas lately its been taking some convincing to get him to eat. These two things have me worried and I'm unsure exactly how to go forward and don't want to do anything terribly drastic at this point since I dont have a strong understanding of what/if anything is wrong. He is about 3 years old now. He is a cherished member of my family and it has been nothing but a pleasure caring for him, so I would hate for anything to happen to him. I'll attach pictures the best I can with my setup listed below. I appreciate any help, thanks!

Tank Setup/Parameters

Tank Size: 10 Gallon
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 10-20 ppm
Temperature: 65 F/18 C, regulated by a chiller
Water Changes: 30% Weekly
Staple Diet: Nightcrawlers

Attachments

• IMG_3295.jpg
    IMG_3295.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 101
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1