Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How many toes should an axolotl have?

saviefav

Reaction score
I have two that are about a year and three months old, and they are in separate tanks by themselves, and each has four toes on three legs, and five on the last leg. Is this normal? Also, is there a difference between males and females and number of toes? Are the toes at all helpful as far as sexing them goes?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
They should have 4 toes on the front legs and 5 on the back ones. The tips of the toes will turn white when they reach sexual maturity.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Number of toes has nothing to do with sexing axies. However, loss of digits (such as from cannibalism) and overzealous regeneration often lead to less or more toes on the foot. In dark coloured axies, toe tips will turn white with sexual maturity, with light coloured axies, the reverse occurs and toe tips will turn black.

Zalth

Reaction score
My axie has six toes on his back left foot, although the rest of the toes are all normal numbers!

JK

Reaction score
One of mine has 4 on front 5 on back , the other has 4 on front and 6 on back. :alien:

STNnexion

Reaction score
My axie (Chancey) has 9 toes on the front left 7 on the front right and 5 on both back legs. That wierd or normal for axies?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's definitely weird. The back feet are normal (with 5 toes), but the front should have 4. While it's not detrimental to have extra toes (or gills, or even sometimes tails!), it's not normal. Regeneration is often imperfect, and slight damage can trigger regeneration, even if the original toe wasn't removed. So then you get two toes in place of one.

I'd love to see pictures.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Additionally, generations of consanguinity and no selection other than that based on color, has taken its toll.
And odd number of fingers is the least of the concerns...there are worse things your axolotls could have.
I would advice not to keep breeding any axolotls that show obvious mutations, but it´s not like anybody is going to listen to that o_O

STNnexion

Reaction score
Makes since to me. Thanks a bunch Kaysie. I'll have pictures of chancey posted real soon if ya wanna see him :)

STNnexion

Reaction score
Got some picutres up of his crazy feet if you want to see on my profile. A little blurry though couldnt help that but you can def see alot of extra toes haha. And anyone know how i get a picutre to show up when i post, like a profile picture? (picture under my name). thanks.

bumpy axolotl

Reaction score
my axolotl has 3 toes one front foot, 4 on the other front foot, 5 on one back foot, and a upside down foot with six toes and with on toe coming out of the heel, is this normal ?

Kitan

Reaction score
Nope. Not "normal", but it sounds like he has had to regenerate quite a bit. Was likely housed improperly before you got him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!