Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Working with P. glutinosus

JMH

Reaction score
I found two P. glutinosus last night on a trail at my college campus near northern Atlanta, Georgia. It was in the low 70's and humid so I looked around and found two adults. I believe they are females but am not positive.

I know quite a few peopler are starting to work with them and I wanted to know if you have any advice on care and breeding. Right now I have them in a tight sweater box with a few small holes drilled in the lid, with slightly damp paper towels as substrate and for hides. I plan on eventually setting them up in a 20 gallon after I acquire some more.

Also while handling one, I found how prehensile their tails are. I snapped a few pictures with my phone.

Attachments

• photo (20).JPG
    photo (20).JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 425
  • photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 348
  • photo (22).JPG
    photo (22).JPG
    108 KB · Views: 352

Aneides

Reaction score
Plethodon are great! By all means, I encourage Plethodon keepers! I've found that many eastern Plethodon species have "prehensile" tails. Not so much for the western sp., though.

Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!