Question about Sand

SpagettiTheNewt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My boyfriend and I have a paddle tail newt and his tank currently has gravel and we would like to switch to sand for safety reasons, the nearest pet store only has reptile desert sand, i just wanted to make sure that it can be used safely in his tank which is mostly aquatic.

here are the specs:
"Zoo Med Repti Sand

Natural colors with no added dyes or chemicals

* Reptile sand substrate made of pure quartz desert sand
Finely ground particles help reduce impaction if consumed
Great for bearded dragons, sand boas, or other burrowing herps
This natural quartz reptile sand substrate safely stimulates your herp to dig and burrow. Made of pure quartz desert sand, which is a better alternative to manufactured silica sand. Finely ground to help prevent impaction if consumed by your pet. Contains no additives, dyes, or colors. Each 5 lb bag fills a 10 gallon terrarium. Available in two natural colors to suit any desert-dwelling reptile."

Please don't post multiple copies of the same message - unless you have sufficient privileges on the forum (earned automatically by reputation, length of membership and other factors), your messages must be approved by a moderator.

A much cheaper alternative is to buy pool filter or childrens play sand from the local home improvement store.

i did some more investigations and ended up just getting the sand from the pet store because we had to change the tank over this weekend because i am going back to school soon and my boyfriend needed help doing it. i'll keep that in mind if i need a lot of sand in the future though, thanks.

it's been almost three days and the tank is really murky still. we turned the filter off because it kept stirring it up and making it worse, our newt is living in a temp tank, does anyone know if the sand will keep stirring up even after it settles?

Did you rinse the sand before putting it in the tank? If not, I'd take out the sand and start over, rinsing it many times in a bucket before putting it in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back