Dry skin secondary fungal infection

licerbob

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all. One of my axolotls jumped out of the tank. He was dried up when I found him and I thought he was dead. I put him floating in the tank in a tubawere bucket so I could observe him.

Today I put him in the refrigerator. He has large patches of dead or raw skin. They originally looked like large chemical burns. (There not. It's from the dry)

I moved him to the refrigerator because the patches have started growing fuzz. I assume that it is fungus.

I am going to swap his water over to distilled water tonight when I'm off work. Not all at once.

I'm considering putting a little bit of pond salt but I know amphibians are sensattive. What would you recommend? I was going to do maybe 1/8 tsp in a gallon?

I'll post pics tonight

distilled water is a no no. It will suck the minerals out of the salamander. Salt is good. methylene blue fights fungus. Furan 2 fights fungus even better.

Where can I get those chemicals?

I'll look tomorrow when they are open. Same instructions as the bottle or will it need diluted more?

He is also about 3 shades darker than the other gold albinos I have. He used to be the same as them.

Attachments

• 20161031_001904.jpg
    20161031_001904.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 308
  • 20161031_001807.jpg
    20161031_001807.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 20161031_001756.jpg
    20161031_001756.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,098
I would treat the same as for fish. I'd go with the Furan 2.

She didn't make it. :( thank you for all the help anyways. I'll be better prepared if this ever ( but hopefully not) happens again

She didn't make it. :( thank you for all the help anyways. I'll be better prepared if this ever ( but hopefully not) happens again

I'm so sorry for your loss. :-(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back