Axolotl filter recommendations?

CosmicShevaun

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I have been setting up my tank to prepare for getting an axolotl, and I set up and plugged in my Fluval 30 filter, and it was working great... until this afternoon when it just started making this horrible mechanical grinding sound all of a sudden. I've cleaned it out and checked everything, but the motor is not pulling up water as it should be and still making a horrible noise...

Has anyone had this problem before and know a fix?

Otherwise, I will just have to exchange it for something else, and does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm quite disappointed as it was a nice filter and had features that I liked, but it didn't even last 24 hours...

I had similar issues. One time there was simply a power outage and I just had to refill it with water. Another time I moved locations and it just wouldn't work. We took it apart and there were a few hairs that managed to get tangled in it. I do t k ow if that's what caused it but it started running again after cleaning them out. So just check to see if maybe something is blocking it off from working? It could be a few things but I don't know without seeing or handling it. Sometimes the filter media in mine pops up and it will make some grinding sounds but it still pumps water and it pops back down just fine.

Have you tried refilling it? My old one did that whenever I had turned it off/on and the water had drained out.
Check for sand, I have heard even one grain of sand can cause that to happen.
I have a aquaclear HOB and it's working great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back