The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Old 6th June 2006   #1
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

June 4:

Click the image to open in full size.

(Message edited by tj on June 06, 2006)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006   #2
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I received a couple of T. granulosa eggs recently from a fellow enthusiast (Mr. Masai of Ambystoma tigrinum breeding fame).

May 28:

(Message edited by tj on June 06, 2006)

Old 6th June 2006   #3
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

June 6:

Old 6th June 2006   #4
pin-pin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Congratulations Tim!

Old 11th June 2006   #5
Alison Brown
(ali)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: ali has started on the right path

Yeyyy Tim!

ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006   #6
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks, but it didn't turn out well -- I'm missing one larva (lost it in a water change? they're so small!) and the other one seems to have a crooked tail so I'm worried it may not survive...

(Message edited by tj on June 12, 2006)

Old 20th June 2006   #7
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Old 20th June 2006   #8
s1ren

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yay!

Good luck with your little crooked guy. Click the image to open in full size.

(Message edited by s1ren on June 20, 2006)

Old 21st June 2006   #9
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The bent tail looks like a mutant - sorry to say, I doubt it will survive. Did you only have two?

I hope you can translate/transmit some details of Mr. Masai's breeding methods. He seems to have success with quite a few species.

Old 24th June 2006   #10
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks, Siren.

Jen, as it turns out, the larva hasn't died (as I too expected it would), but it's eating and growing. The tail has even straightened out a bit, though there's obviously something wrong with it. I got only two eggs to begin with, so just the one larva left after the other one went missing. I've been promised more for next season though Click the image to open in full size.

Here it is as of today:

Old 25th June 2006   #11
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Then again, maybe the tail hasn't straightened out at all...

Old 25th June 2006   #12
ester

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Just a risky wild thought, and not easily done.
At this stage they can regenerate just about anything, have you considered removing the twisted part of the tail?

Old 26th June 2006   #13
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks for the idea Ester but the larva seems to me to be too small to take a pair of scissors to. Maybe it'd work if I got a nice clean cut with some super-sharp surgical scissors, but I'd still prefer to wait until it gets bigger. I figure that if it's survived 'til now, there's a good chance it's over the hump already and will keep on growing as long as it continues to receive the special treatment it gets now. I have Cynops larvae that've had their tails munched off by other larvae and they do fine. Maybe I should just put it in a densely populated Cynops larvae tank and let nature take its course Click the image to open in full size.

Old 2nd July 2006   #14
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Great progress Click the image to open in full size.

(Message edited by TJ on July 02, 2006)

Old 5th August 2006   #15
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here it is as of Aug. 6:

Old 5th August 2006   #16
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Looking good, certainly far better than my dire prediction.Click the image to open in full size. Did the bent end of the tail fall off, go away, or get amputated? It looks like it was gone in the July 2 picture.

Old 6th August 2006   #17
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Hi Jen. No, the bent tail is still intact Click the image to open in full size.

Old 6th August 2006   #18
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

When I adjust the contrast on that July 2 picture, you can see the curved part of the tail more clearlyu

Old 7th August 2006   #19
dane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

nice pics of the larvae, whenever I try to take pics of my larvae they move around to much

Old 23rd August 2006   #20
kara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

how is ths little guy doing????

Tags
(and, eggs, granulosa, larvae), taricha