Metamorphed Axy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for your loss Georgina. At least he'll be famous on the axolotl.org page.

I've never bothered to read all of this thread, just the first couple of pages (and look at the pics) - today I actually read it from start to finish and I really wasn't expecting the sad news at the end, so have got a bit teary - so sorry for your loss :(

Zoe x

Sorry for your loss Georgina. At least he'll be famous on the axolotl.org page.

:) thankyou

I've never bothered to read all of this thread, just the first couple of pages (and look at the pics) - today I actually read it from start to finish and I really wasn't expecting the sad news at the end, so have got a bit teary - so sorry for your loss :(

Zoe x

Thankyou. :)

This was such a great post. I enjoyed reading every second of it. Hearing other peoples opinions is great. It just shows you how un common it is when so many people reply on the same post. I think it's absolutely fantastic that they have the skill to do this, very interesting. I however would be rather gutted if this was to happen to me, sure it would be fascinating! I just couldnt cope with the shortness of the life. I'm sure it wont though. Missy is very happy.
I am ever so sorry to hear about Mr Lister (sorry if i got the name wrong) I'm sure he will be in a very happy place right now, and you should be pleased with yourself for looking after him so well.
Take Care!

So beautiful and so lucky to get a rarity - you should be proud. I was wondering though even though your little friend now lives on land, does he still need to stay moist, or is his skin able to completly dry out? I know probably a really stupid question - but I'm curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear. I'm very sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the entire thread through, such a sad ending, but at least you had the chance to experience something so rare. :]

Side note: I've read several times that axys only grow eyelids when they metamorphosize.. Should I be worried that one of mine appears to blink? I only noticed last night as he had his crazy moment.

They are amazing. I heared of it, but never seen any cool pics of it.

AW: Re: Metamorphed Axy...

Edit to my earlier Post-
Nearly all of the youngsters morph in blue-white shaded adults-
2009-09-08_Bild_277.jpg
[/IMG]
2009-09-19_Bild_283.jpg
[/IMG]

2009-09-19_Bild_284.jpg
[/IMG]

2009-06-28_Albinos_128.jpg
[/IMG]
2009-07-29_Albinos_054.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow, those are really cool colors you got from crossing axies and tiger salamanders. I'm not sure how I stand on the whole issue but my curious side loves seeing what is happening. :)

Hi,

Sorry for your loss freekygeeky :(

amazing photos
Thank you to everyone some great info,
i loved reading all the stories and truely amazing photos

Thanks

Wow, Gismonikon, those colours are beautiful! I have to say it, but the colours remind me of blueberries, especially in the second picture. I figure You've been breeding quite a few of these hybrid morphable lotls, but I'm not too sure about how long. How have the lifespans been, or is it far too early too early to tell?

Woaw, they're very cute...
I like the blue white shades.

There is no way of telling how many Axolotls would morph out in a natural setting since all but a handful still exist in Mexico City canals. The fact that they sometimes can just shows evolutiion in progress and not some horrible fate.

Hi Freekygeeky,

Very nice morphed axy. I curious as to the worms in the tub, they look like meal/wax worms, to me yet I thought axies couldn't eat them due to the skins being hard to digest. I have an axy myself and he she only eats bloodworms its a nightmare.

wow they are amazing when morphed , but i still like my axel the way he is , thank you for shareing with us

There are ways in which you can (from what I've read) induce axolotl metamorphasis such as the addition of iodine or thyroxine. But doing this is not recomended as the axolotl is not genetically predisposed to this condition. However, I do wonder if when using a municipal water supply, it may be possible that iodine concentrations increase due to accumulation after the evaporation of water and the subsequent adding of new water (much the way salt or any other mineral accumulates and does not evaporate) or hormone accumulation would be a possible culprit for this axies complete metamorphosis? Did you do water changes regularly?

thats amazing! its pretty rare to have one spontaneously morph- you are very lucky.
he's so pretty!

K9

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back