Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Metamorphed Axy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

katdw92

Reaction score
wow this is really cool. does anyone know why axolotls morph like this naturally?

BadLilMama

Reaction score
iodine is the chemical that axies are missing - which is why they never finish the morph to salamander (it is totally absent in the glacial lake they originate from. adding iodine to their environment would probably cause some kind of change but the levels are so precise it would do more harm than good to just start dropping iodine into their water

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
iodine is the chemical that axies are missing
That is not the case. If it were, none of the salamanders that live at altitude would metamorphose. There is a very complex system of interplay between the various hormones and this is not directly related to iodine.

Imy

Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL FROM START TO FINISH.

How did you manage to get s/h/it (She.He.It) to morph?? Heard of different ways but all seem to be to stressful for the little critters. Don't have a axie yet and if I get one I don't plan on trying to make it morph. Would be a waste of such an amazing creature if it died from a person causing harm to it.

Catherine1

Reaction score
i was told that getting axolotls to morph is verry stressful and painful for them. is it true? if it's not, how do you get them to change

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Re: Help me Please!!!

I believe my axolotl has metamorphed! We received the axy as a birthday present for my son in May. So, we have had him for about 2 1/2 months. The instructions given by the pet shop were little. Simply keep the water fresh and cool and to feed him Newt pellets every 2 days. The pet shop had the axy listed it as a Baby Dinosaur. Axolotl was never mentioned. I had to research online to find out what exactly it was. He (I assume it is a he, I have no idea) metamorphed about 2-3 weeks after receiving it. I did not know that this was abnormal. I thought perhaps they were supposed to do this. I thought maybe they went through a spring-like change and then would go back to the normal axoltl look after a while. Shows how ignorant I am in caring for the axolotl!! He has been living in water the entire time. He hangs out at the bottom for the most part, but occasionaly rests on top of a log that we have in there for him. The only reason the log was in the tank was because the pet store told us that he could come out of the water for short periods of time. I am now to the conclusion that the pet shop has no idea what they are talking about, and I need to know how to properly care for the axolotl. He seems happy and healthy, though I really have no idea. He will follow me around the tank looking at me. He still eats about 6 newt pellets every 2 days. If I drop the pellets in the water he will eat them there, if I put them on top of the log, he will eat them there too. I change his water every two weeks. And treat the water with a "tap water conditioner" (like the pet shop told me to do). Someone please help me!! I have no idea what I am doing!! I have attached photos for you. In all the photos he is in the water at the bottom of the tank. I have a 10 gallon tank filled a little under halfway. In the last photo he is swimming up to the top (trying to get a pellet I put on top of the log for him).

Thanks.
Me thinks you were tricked, this looks like a tiger salamander. I recon he was never actually and axolotl

Star

Reaction score

That's what the wilds look like when they morph, tigers have yellow bars :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Jennrob's animal was definitely a tiger salamander, as stated by various members on the following page.

Star

Reaction score

okie dokes :) didn't read through just looked at the pics

xxbadlandsxx

Banned
Reaction score
I would love if one of my GFP axolotls decided to morph, but that would be like winning the lotto. Are axolotls that are morphed worth more? Just wonder why people would try to force it when they know its prolly gonna kill it.

HTTP://www.RomasFishTank.com

Last edited by a moderator:

highclassrckstr

Reaction score
i didnt want to force it to morph i simpley wanted to know if there were favorable environmental factors that could contribute to an axie morphing. like acess to land? etc...
There, OBVIOUSLY, is a difference between FORCE and simply making the conditions more favorable.

there are too many folks out there to far to eager to point fingers and throw "their" little rants and phrases out there.
- Im not positive, because there is so little scholarly information on "morpholotls" { this is most likely because the large majority of the population is kept as pets by whoever happens upon them and finds them 'cute' or 'cool'. Those qualifications do not make any of these people experts. Do your own research. Check the references. Since I highly doubt you can get a hold of thryoid stimulation hormone, I don't think anything you may do can actually be considered FORCE, as accused.}

digger

Reaction score
There, OBVIOUSLY, is a difference between FORCE and simply making the conditions more favorable.

there are too many folks out there to far to eager to point fingers and throw "their" little rants and phrases out there.
- Im not positive, because there is so little scholarly information on "morpholotls" { this is most likely because the large majority of the population is kept as pets by whoever happens upon them and finds them 'cute' or 'cool'. Those qualifications do not make any of these people experts. Do your own research. Check the references. Since I highly doubt you can get a hold of thryoid stimulation hormone, I don't think anything you may do can actually be considered FORCE, as accused.}[/QUOTE

Im sorry but you are wrong if an axolotl is deliberately placed in conditions unfavorable to the species then you ARE forcing it to do that, it would not chose to live in dirty water, it choses to live in cold clean water in its natural enviroment not dirty mud holes, it choses not to morph which is why it is able to breed in its larval state.
It very rarely produces the neccessary amount of hormones to enable it to morph so introducing them to it IS forcing it to do something that is not NEEDED or WANTED by it personally, but by the people who keep them.
As has been stated time and time again by people on this forum "If you want a land living creature get one"
Dont force other species to be what you want.
You wouldnt force a Boy to act like a Girl !! or would you??

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1