Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hynobius (dunni) studbook info gathering

henk_wallays

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I'm slowly crawling out of my summersleep for the upcoming Gersfeld meeting and collecting the data again for the Hynobius studbook. I have a peticular interest for H. dunni, but would like to stretch it to all Hynobius.
Overhere in Europe the interest seems to drop a little for this interesting group of animals (at least that's how it feels and what I read from the number of keepers and animals) . So this is a friendly request to inform me if you keep any Hynobius species :

- how many animals you are keeping ( to put into the statistics ... which go back since 1996)
- if you have bred this species in 2008 ( also how many CB you have thus helped to set on this world)
- if on the other hand you encountered problems of any kind for which you would liek advice from other keepers
- if you have peculiar question you want to know on (any of ) your Hynobius species

Please send me the statistics to me by private email , no need to go into public. Eventual practical questions may of course also go over this forum.

The idea behind this is to see how many there are still around and how many people keep them rather then who keeps . I would really prefer to see that we can maintain the pond Hynobius further since together with Ambystoma species they really make my salamander-days interesting .

Well now it's time to pick up my camera again and before I get too rusty make some more Salamander shots ... ;-))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1