Desmognathus breeding success...now what?

Not for sale, for research purposes only.

Well, shucks. It looks like all of the eggs may not have been fertilized. I have been assuming that the darker, yellow color meant a fungal infection, but I suppose it could just be degradation? Fungal infections should be associated with white growth on the egg, correct?

Regardless, this begs the question of what's my best option to ensure the further development of the remaining embryos? Suggestions from others with breeding success in plethodontids?

Attachments

• P1011835_9_26_15.jpg
    P1011835_9_26_15.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 313
If the female is not attending them you probably don't have great chances with that clutch. A good batch would have the female staying with them, and often (at least in other species I've worked with) would eat the eggs that are not fertile or are have fungal infections.

If you have access to itraconazole you could try removing them and raising them away from the female over damp perlite. Carefully remove the bad eggs from the cluster and moisten the perlite with itraconazole in a solution of sterile water at 10mg/L. I have had moderate success with this protocol. Feel free to email me if you would like more details.

Ah, disregard that...I just noticed the female underneath them in your photo. Leave them alone with minimal disturbance. If she is still attending them the infertile eggs probably won't foul the others. They just sort of shrink up and become darker yellow...the cutaneous bacteria or skin secretions seem to inhibit deterioration of the infertile ones as well if the female remains in attendance.

Good luck! Looks like there are several developing :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back