Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Notophthalmus viridescens Adult tank setup

David339

Reaction score
I am soon to be setting up my 1st adult tank. I think one of my efts is ready to go in the water or very close and another not far behind. I haven't owned adults yet. I did this year get to raise some larvae to efts though and successfully got them there. Hopefully these guys will be laying eggs for me in the future so I can go full circle. I'm not a complete novice. I do have turtles, frogs and other reptiles/amphibians. I've had my efts for about a year and a half.

I currently have a 20g long available but should have a 40g breeder in the future. Only 3 of my 10 efts are anywhere close to adulthood. I've done a bunch of reading but would love some input. I was reading heavy plants over having a filter. What would be the best plants, substrate, etc. Advice from experience I find is often better then care sheets and such.

Methos5K

Reaction score
For newts transitioning to being aquatic; keep the water level low and heavily planted. Think of a Jesus Newt; being able to walk on water (plants). A gentle slope into the water is ideal. Get a new painting plastic roller tray and make it a newt beach. Cold water plants are best for newts obviously. Hornwort, Java Moss, Water Lettuce, Guppy grass (Najas), Milfoil. I would still use a sponge filter in the tank.

David339

Reaction score
For newts transitioning to being aquatic; keep the water level low and heavily planted. Think of a Jesus Newt; being able to walk on water (plants). A gentle slope into the water is ideal. Get a new painting plastic roller tray and make it a newt beach. Cold water plants are best for newts obviously. Hornwort, Java Moss, Water Lettuce, Guppy grass (Najas), Milfoil. I would still use a sponge filter in the tank.

Thanks, I was having trouble deciding on what to do with filters etc. Care sheets list a lot of things but I don't know what people have used and had work the best. I'm hoping to breed these guys as I have learned all about larvae care this year. I saved some from a retention pond that was re worked... they had dumped silt in it and pretty much killed everything inside. There were dead tadpoles and such all over. I found 4 red spotted newt larvae however, one was dying before I got him home(tossing and turning in the water). The water they were in felt hot to the touch and it was 90 something degrees outside then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!