The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

Old 17th May 2007   #1
invertkurt

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: invertkurt has shown reliable knowledge
Default What are your choices for substrates?

I am always looking for new suggestions for my S. salamandra trio. Topsoil got too wet, woodchips are never a good idea... right now I am using crushed fallen leaves for ease of cleaning. Oh, I should mention that they are in a modified long plastic sweaterbox rather than a glass aquarium.

--Kurt

invertkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007   #2
Tom Lee
(tomthlee)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Rep: tomthlee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtomthlee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtomthlee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtomthlee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtomthlee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Have you tried coconut fiber yet?

tomthlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007   #3
Tony B
(tonymontanaflows)

Nationality:
Rep: tonymontanaflows has started on the right path

i house a. opacum in a plastic box too and use a mix of cocofiber, lots of crushed leaves, a little old ground sphagnum moss, and cypress mulch. some of the cypress mulch looked sharp kind of regret adding it at first but it hasn't caused any harm and has softened since being sprayed and mixed in the substrate. all of this mix loosely rest ontop of a packed topsoil "floor" so some of the dirt, sand, peat sphagnum, rocks of the topsoil gets mixed in as well and doesn't get muddy. here's some pics of my setup

http://img153.**************/img153/2743/p1290196kh1.jpg
http://img443.**************/img443/5378/p1290197jw9.jpg

Old 18th May 2007   #4
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I also use sweater box setups. I have found disadvantages with nearly any "single" substrate. For me, top soil dried out too fast; pure coconut fiber stuck to the animal's skin and got moldy anywhere that there was any poop or uneaten food.

Like Tony, I make a mixture of ingredients that works well. My mix is about equal parts coconut fiber and top soil (not potting soil), and I also mix in some wood chips, either fir bark or cypress mulch.

Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007   #5
invertkurt

Nationality:
Rep: invertkurt has shown reliable knowledge

I will give coconut fiber a chance next time I need to clean everything out. I am actually pretty happy with the dead leaves I have in there now so many I will try a mix. Thanks for the input!

invertkurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choices, substrates