The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 12th August 2008   #1
Stef
(inkozana)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: inkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and information
Question Fungus ~

Hi guys,
My Axolotl Samantha died today from a fungus that spread very quickly from her gills to her mouth.
I had her in the fridge for 2 days and salt baths three times each day. That didn't seem to help her.

I don't understand how the fungus had spread so quickly and I am still upset from losing her, she had such character. Anyway, my question is- how can I prevent fungus from growing in my tank, or on my axolotl (I don't have an axolotl at the moment though)

Thank-you.

inkozana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008   #2
Jacquie

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: Fungus ~

Hi Stef,

I'm sorry about your axie.

Fungus is usually caused by water quality issues and temperature. If you could advise on your water parameters (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/PH) and temperature that may help us ascertain how the fungus developed.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008   #3
Becky
(gr33neyes)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 43
Rep: gr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Sorry to hear your bad news, its tough.
You can help prevent fungus from growing in your tank by carrying out regular spot checks. You're looking for uneaten food, axolotl poo, decaying plants material, basically anything that can go 'bad' and start to decompose.
You only have to leave the tiniest piece of food behind in the tank and very quickly you will notice fungus growing on it.
I would also imagine keeping the temperature of the tank water down as low as you can would help as cooler temperatures inhibit fungal growth to a degree.

Old 12th August 2008   #4
Stef
(inkozana)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: inkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and information

Okay, the temperature of the water is usually around 18 degrees.
It was probably some poop or uneaten food that started the fungus.
Thanks for your help :)

inkozana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fungus