The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 29th June 2011   #1
ZoeT94

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: ZoeT94 has started on the right path
Default Is this unusual?

So for the last week or so, my little girl, Pinky hasn't been eating anything which I offered her, where her friend has been eating with vigour.

This afternoon I got home from college and decided upon a different tactic, so I fed podge (the friend) and then offered pinky something, first mussel, which she didn't take, then a worm. She wouldn't take it. So in the end, i simply dropped it in front of her, it was still wriggling and moving.

I left it in front of her, and after watching her for five minutes, she seemed to be treating it as prey food. she put it in her mouth, couldn't get it in. Spat it out and then after 3 minutes or so, she ate it...

Is it unusual for an axie to prefer feeding and eating like this?

Old 29th June 2011   #2
~~Eddie~~
(Mr Poseidon)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mr Poseidon has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Is this unusual?

apparently some worms when they feel threatened the worm secreats something that tastes bad to the axolotls, i soak mine for a few min before i feed them to my guy.

Old 29th June 2011   #3
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

To expand on Eddie's statement, red wiggler worms in particular will secrete this noxious fluid. When your axolotl first bites it, it oozes out, tastes bad, and the axolotl spits out the worm. After a few minutes, it's still wiggling, so your axolotl still sees it as food, but now the water has rinsed away this fluid, and she eats it.

Try switching to a different species of worm. Nightcrawlers (versus red wigglers/tiger worms/etc.) are especially good, but often need to be cut down to size for smaller axolotls.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011   #4
ZoeT94

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: ZoeT94 has started on the right path

hmm. okay. I do tend to soak them prior to feeding them, in some warm water for a few minutes. I will try and keep them soaking for longer so that when she takes them, she doesn't taste the secretion...

Thank you

Old 30th June 2011   #5
~~Eddie~~
(Mr Poseidon)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mr Poseidon has shown reliable knowledge

Thank you Kaysie! I did not know that in depth what happens, just that it did.

Although interestingly enough, my axi will not eat Nightcrawler, s/he will only eat red wigglers or thease red worms that i dig up out side (they look similar to red wigglers but dont have the yellow tip so i dont know if their different or just not sexualy mature but are the same size)