The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 15th August 2013   #1
Anna
(axolotl newbie)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: axolotl newbie has given good advice and informationaxolotl newbie has given good advice and informationaxolotl newbie has given good advice and information
Default Passing cloudy white mucus

Does anyone know what this is? It just came out of Churro (female 10 months). She overdid it on wax worms recently and threw up loads of them and hasn't been that interested in food since. She looks otherwise healthy but has been hiding a bit more than usual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	white poo.jpg
Views:	2279
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	32504  

axolotl newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013   #2
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Passing cloudy white mucus

It looks like undigested worm skin/casts...I'd keep an eye on her just to make sure she's alright, watch for any colour changes, sudden behaviours and gill shrinkage, all the obvious bits. The only thing I've seen that looked like this was when one of my axolotls brought a bit of prawn back up (it was too big). Hope she's better soon!

Old 20th August 2013   #3
Anna
(axolotl newbie)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: axolotl newbie has given good advice and informationaxolotl newbie has given good advice and informationaxolotl newbie has given good advice and information

I think you're right as she's been fine ever since. Think she overdid it with the wax worms :)

axolotl newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013   #4
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

I hoped that was all it was...if it's just an upset stomach then hopefully it was just a one-off :)