Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Mesotriton morph has gone aquatic!

jbherpin

Reaction score
To my surprise, I discovered my largest (and fattest) alpestris morph In the water section of it's tilted tank set-up! I am thrilled; it is only ------------------------ (approximately), and seems at ease in the shallow pool at the southern end of the tank. Right now, it seems to be trying to wedge under a submerged object. a leaf...a grooved rock...etc. I guess I am wondering if I should seperate this aquatic specimen from the other terrestrial based morphs, or let them play catch-up!? I have not offered the food aquatically yet, but will most likely alter the isolation plan if food isn't accepted there. Any thoughts? Thanks for the interest!

-jbherpin-

End

Reaction score
my newts become acquatic at the same size as yours.
Im not experienced but this is what i did:
i leave them in the shallow water for couple of days , after that i've started to add water gradually and after seeing that they were happy in the new acquatic enviorment, i've transferred them into a classic semi-acquatic set up (80%water 20% land).
this is the vivarium
Caudata.org - Member Galleries - new home for M.a.apuanus juvies

Jake

Reaction score
You can just keep them together and let the others catch up. I've had alpestris and cyreni go aquatic at a pretty small size, so they may go to the water sooner than you might expect! Sometimes placing food in the water portion helps give them the extra nudge they need to stop fearing the water. Also, it's best to give them plenty of vegetation to hang onto in order to help prevent drowning. Good luck!

jbherpin

Reaction score
They all have been spotted "taking a dip", and I am pleased. They all spend more time hunting in the moss than in the water by far! It won't be long until they notice the food in the water squirming about! I hope they all will be ready to move to a more elaborate semi-aquatic set-up soon. One that favors the water aspect!

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!