Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please Suggest Species for Half-Wet/Half-Dry Vivarium

Rivethead

Reaction score
Feel free to move this. I was unsure if I should post it in Enclosures, or Species, or...

I have a rather large, half-wet/half-dry, vivarium in which I am housing 3 Blue-Spotted Sallies.
I’m convinced my Blue-Spotted’s only ever utilize the small shallow pool on the dry half (understandably so, given the species). My real estate is grossly under-utilized because of this. I have dedicated my wet side to a single goldfish, some snails, and an algae eater just so I felt it was actually being used.

I would like to get some critters that would make far better use of my vivarium, which has a 72 x 18 inch footprint. I don’t mind releasing the Blue-Spotted Sallies to do so. They were wild-caught anyhow as I was trying to breed them, but I think they’re all female.

My questions:
1) What species of Sallie or Newt, native to the Midwestern US, do you feel would better utilize my set-up? I say native, because I would like to attempt to breed them and help repopulate/reintroduce them back into some local areas. Construction wiped out a lot of vernal pools and wet ditches in the last couple years and they’re now only starting to refill.
2) Lacking suggestions on native species that would properly utilize a large half-wet/half-dry (moist soil, really) vivarium, what non-native species do you think would adequately utilize my vivarium?
3) Upon finding a candidate species, the goldfish is getting donated/adopted out. But what of cleaner fish for the wet side? What small fish can I keep in there for basic maintenance. I have heard horror stories about your basic Algae Eaters leaving scars on some newts/salamanders, but I have read far more stories about it not being a problem.
Is there a thread or guide for this subject? If so, I could not find it.

Thank you, everyone.

Rivethead

Reaction score
And in case anyone is curious, when I said I don't mind releasing the blue-spotted's, that's because I have not had them very long at all, and I interact with them as little as possible (as I was trying to get them to breed), so I'm convinced they have not really acclimated to captivity or being fed by humans.

Of course, I could always move them to my smaller, empty tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!