Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help, my axolotl isn't right, am so worried.

Elmlee

Reaction score
Hey out there!
This is my first post. I'm in a real state. My childhood dream pet is ill

We've had lottlia for a few months, he/she is about 3 inches nose to tail.
At the moment she's in a small beginners fish tank, with a small internal filter. we are about to buy her a large tank in a couple of weeks due to a sudden growth spert.

I noticed before leaving yesterday evening she's covered from nose to tail in tiny little white bumps.. She spent a lot of time on top of the water.

In utter panic I ordered my fiancée to come home and clean him/her out, he's done an 100% water change and gave her new sand etc.. She's eating fine and been tucking into her frozen blood worms ( may I add that's all she eats) not really sure what else to feed her. I don't want to go getting things out my garden next door are keen gardeners. She's now back on the bottom as normal. Swimming around very active.

The spots are just bobbly she doesn't look any different colour wise.. There mainly under his/her belly and in her head, a couple of vains here and there but look normal (think I've oh noticed cause I'm looking at her really closely.) . Her gills look big and fluffy as normal.. There's abit of white on them but they aren't fully pink yet! (She's albino).

I must admit the room she has been kept in may have got a bit warmer recently so I don't know weather that's a factor.. I know it seems really irresponsible of me but I don't know much or understand much about water changes.. We have only ever done 100% because the tank does get messy fairly quick after a week. We are hoping to change that with her new tank with its external filter.

Tried to get a picture but you can really see it on her skin cause shes white.
If anyone can help me, or advise me I'd be so grateful I'm in a state with it all.
Thanks a lot. Emily

EmbryH

Reaction score
Are the dots raised up from the skin? If so, it might be a fungus. If it's a fungus, there are a few ways to treat it, not the least of which being a salt bath. Just don't freak out too quickly. Make sure that it actually IS a fungus before you do this, and maybe just try giving her some time in the fridge to chill out.

If the dots are flush with her skin, it might not be anything to worry about. I know a leucistic axie with tons of tiny white dots all over his body, but they almost look like skin pores. They're actually kind of beautiful. If the dots are spaced in such a way that they could be pores, then don't worry so much.

Just keep an eye on her, keep her water cold and clean, and keep her happy :)

FireStar

Reaction score
Maybe its fungi? But a picture would definitely help.

I would think that a 100% water change every week could cause stress in your axolotl. If it get dirty quickly, try changing less water more frequently e.g 20% every two or three days? Someone else on here could give you a better percentage and frequency.

FireStar

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask. What temperature is your tank? Water higher than 20C can cause stress.

CJ1981

Reaction score
I would agree, pictures and water parameters would help.

My two don't have any dots but I have certainly seen plenty of pictures of Axolotls covered in dots/spots that are completely benign.

I wouldn't freak out completely just yet, even if it is a fungus or similar these can be treated and Axolotls are tougher than we give them credit for what with their 'magical' healing powers :happy:.

Have a look at the top of this forum section, there is a 'sticky' on salt bath tutorial that is really good and have a look through the forum for advice re: fridging. I'm NOT suggesting you immediately begin salt baths and/or fridging, I am merely suggesting you do a bit of 'worst case scenario' research/planning so that if you do need to take any action you are fully prepared.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1