Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus?

Vyrus

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have had my 2 axies for almost a year now and everything was going smoothly until 5 days ago when my golden axie attacked my wild type. The wild was left with no tail and severely injured legs (all four). I separated them and changed the water right away and took him/her to a vet to see if there was anything they could do but every vet I spoke to including that one seemed clueless. Fungus (cloudy white) started growing on all four limbs as well as the nub that is left of his/her tail. Now all four legs seem to be dead (can hardly recognize them and they are jelly-like and turning white. I touched them lightly to see if it bothered the axie but no response. I was giving salt baths for the fungus but am not having any luck. He/she is not very responsive now and I am not sure what I should do or if anything can even be done to save him/her. I am going to attach some pictures I took. I am willing to try whatever I can to help save him/her if it is still possible. If not, should I just let him/her die naturally? I feel so bad :( Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,341
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,200
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,367
Do you have him in the fridge? At the moment it can buy you time, and will help him/her de-stress. Next thing is we need one of the vets on here to write out a set of instructions you can take to a vet you think will be okay to do the amputations. The main issues are going to be keeping him/her cool, sedating him/her for the proceedure, blood loss and minimising the recurrence of fungal infection after the proceedure.
Keep your head up, we'll all be thinking of you!

Ah!! a very similar thing happened with an axie I just recieved. I hope another answer turns up soon so I can get help too. Ill post the info on my problem shortly.. there is no fungus, but the tail is a stumpy looking bit now and her legs dont seem as bad as yours.. :( I hope yours recovers well.

also, mine needs to eat, but it might be too late :eek::eek: i really hope not.

Oh my goodness! Poor thing, I have no advice but I was wondering if you know why the axolotl suddenly attacked it so ferociously?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back