Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi and help please.

Elleart75

Reaction score
I have been battling for 6 months with my two girls. It’s a really long story. They were both sick by whilenonw recovered well and gain weight and gills back, the other girl has struggled to gain weight and gills and fully recover. I have finally cycled the tank and I put them in but the nitrates went up alarmingly after the first day. So I took them out and did a partial change and noticed the ph was very low. So I added coral to the filter and the ph came up and the GH too. Back in they went. But then the struggling girl crashed again and then the other one started going down hill. So they are in a furan tub but they’re not happy. I’ve done everything humanly possible to help them. You name it I’ve done it. I’m at a loss. I’ve taken out the fake grass and the drift wood (nitrates dropped after taking out the wood as it went up again). GH has dropped now too. I’ve done tea baths, salt baths, aquari cycline furan primes fresh water tubs, everything. Please help me I don’t know what to do now. Thank you. ;) 5C395DBB-42F9-40DE-93EA-9212284D2599.jpg

1EEC4B18-9DF7-458A-A671-22526CEEC188.jpg

Reaction score
Oh no! I'm so sorry about your axies! I'll do my best to try and help you out. Do you know what caused the sickneses in the first place? And what were your axies symptoms then and now? Have you taken them to a vet yet?

Elleart75

Reaction score
Unfortunately there are no vets anywhere near me that will even look at them.
And I’m embarrassed to say that it’s our ignorance that started it as we knew nothing of axies and no around here does. The pet shops are mostly lacking in accurate information. I just really want to help them. I’m posting on all the forums and putting up with a lot of mean comments in effort to help them. I’ve done everything. I am going to try getting the tap and tank water tested at a pool shop and see if that says anything

Elleart75

Reaction score
They look like they have ammonia burns but it’s not that as ammonia has always been zero (my master test kit is not out of date) I don’t handle them a lot either so it not that. I always wash when I do anything around the axies. It’s not from chemicals. They are red and veiny. Ines gills are very dark very bark while the other isn’t. The tail is quite dark too. Also nitrate is sitting at 20 but I am going to do another change and see if it will go lower. But from the chart I’ve got it’s within perameters.

Reaction score
Are they eating properly and swimming normaly? What are your water temperatures at? You may want to try just leaving them alone for a while and see how they do. If it is amonnia burn, then once you fix your water parameters they should start healing. Have you tried adding almond leaves to your water?

Reaction score
I would also reccomend separating your two axies for now until they heal completely if you have not already done so. It helps to reduce stress.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Wow he really is red! Have you tried fridging? What test kit are you using (liquid or strips)? What dechlorinator are you using?
Sorry you have had people abuse you. I'll try and help as well, maybe one of the vets on here will jump in with a suggestion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!