Salamandra Vivarium

nir

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Nicholas Bertrand
I am currently trying to upgrade my Salamandras set-ups... I would love if people would post pictures and info regarding their set-ups! It would be very valuable information for me and many people I guess.

I'm a bit disappointed in seeing that nobody wants to share their set-ups...

Here are two of mine

IMG_6837.jpg

IMG_6835.jpg

James- what species of Salamandra do you keep in those vivariums?

hi

Here are my set ups,

A more natural type for my S s gigliolli, and the S s werneri on more simplistic paper towel with lots are bark etc to hide under and climb on,

Ben

Attachments

• gigliolli setup.jpg
    gigliolli setup.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 2,147
  • S s werneri.jpg
    S s werneri.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 1,795
These are some picks of my S.S Algira set up, its relatively new so it needs to mature a bit but the foundations are all in there. Its basically just rotting bark and leaf litter on coco fibre substarte with a few spider plant cuttings.

23102008616.jpg

23102008617.jpg

23102008618.jpg

Nice, thanks everyone! It is very appreciated! ;)

Hello folks, this is my 60 x 30 x 30 cm naturalistic setup for three juvenile S. s. terrestris (ca. 8 cm length, offspring 2009). Content: soil and leaf litter from beech wood, several pieces of bark, a small water dish, moss and plants from the wood. Aquarium coverage with a selfmade gauze lid. Living woodlice and worms (Eisenia hortenis) as feed reservoir and for waste management. In addition I feed crickets and wild-caught snails. :happy:

Greeting

Attachments

• IMG_8934-1.JPG
    IMG_8934-1.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_8937.JPG
    IMG_8937.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,082
Here is the setup for my 0.2. S. s. terrestris group... hopefully to become a 1.2. group soon.

Attachments

• en vadrouille.jpg
    en vadrouille.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 12,920
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3,303
here is mine. it's a 90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump.

Attachments

• IMG_2982.jpg
    IMG_2982.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 178,872
In our Fire salamander enclosure we have Pothos Plants. They grow like crazy easily and look nice as well. I wish I had a photo so share. Next time I go in to work I will snap a shot.

Are your planted set ups self maintaining or do they take a lot of time to maintain?

Cheers

Alan

I spot clean mine and change the water in the sump every two weeks... They like to poop in the pond. The moss acts as a nitrate sponge and so I only "pressure wash it with a hudson sprayer every few weeks to remove debris. I also wipe down the glass every so often if it gets dirty. Maybe trim the ferns if needed. So I do about 1.5 - 2 hours work on mine per month max I would say.

i don't have a fire salamander, but ive been meaning to.
these vivariums are great!
really unique. hope i will make a terrestrial one that exciting some day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back