Glass divider questions and fears

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
I'm in the secret planning stages of my next paludarium (kept secret from my husband), and I'd like to do a land/water set-up to eventually house 2 (or 3) T. marmoratus. That is my dream, but whatever I build may just end up housing more broken-striped newts. I want to make sure I include enough of a land area for the marmoratus, but I'd also like to maximize the water.

My fears: I'm really wary of going with a straight false-bottom due to issues of water quality, but I'm also scared of the glass divider. I've tried them in the past and I always end up with a leaky water area that swamps the land, leading to an eventual tear-down. So I guess I'm trying to decide how small of a land area I can get away with. The minimum tank size that I'd be using would be a 29 gallon (I'd like to go bigger... poor husband :D).

So, questions:
1. Would a false bottom actually work?
2. Has anyone had success with glass dividers? Any tips? (I've looked at the Caudata Culture articles and the sloping plexiglass tank looks like what I'd want, but I'd like it to look more natural - I can probably handle that part.)
3. Anyone with marmoratus experience: how small can I make the land area? (This would be a permanent home for adults.)

Sorry this is so rambly - I like to think out loud. I'd really love to do something similar to what I have now, which has a land area made out of a little shelf. It works well for me because there's no possibility of the water swamping the land because it sits above the waterline. However, I don't know if I can get away with building a 'shelf' large enough to accomodate a more terrestrial species like marmoratus that is also structurally sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

hey erin. I've used plexi dividers and glass - both work. I put a large bead of silicone on both sides and gently & lightly smooth it with a finger wrapped in saran wrap. I let it cure for the full amount of time plus some if i can. then I fill one side with water, food coloring helps spot leaks too.

whats a false bottom?

Thanks Sharon!

whats a false bottom?

It's when you block off the area under the land section with some kind of non-waterproof barrier and let water 'flow' freely back and forth to create a land/water divide. You use gravel or hydroton or some other material under your soil that's non-water holding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back