Not sure if tank is cycling or not...

Based Caud

Reaction score
Country
United States
I set up my tank on October 12 (3+ weeks ago) and have been attempting a fishless cycle. The tank is 10g, has a sponge filter, a clump of java moss and some hornwort in it. There is also a cave and some driftwood in there.

So far, my ammonia levels have consistently gone down, and I've added ammonia twice. However, my nitrite readings have never been more than 0.25 (currently they're 0), and nitrate slowly went up to about 3 ppm and has hovered there for 2 weeks. PH is currently 7.8 or so, and has always stayed in the 7.6-8 range.

Am I just being impatient, or should I be seeing more of a change in the nitrites/nitrates at this point?

Your tank is probably cycled. Having live plants will negate some of your cycle, as they use nutrients before bacteria can get to them.

What are you planning to put in the tank?

It may well be already cycled if you have a nitrATE reading however its normally suggested to add a little ammonia daily to mimic the waste of an axolotl and to keep feeding your cycle.
Id add another does to get your ammonia to 1ppm then wait 24 hours and test the water, if there is 0 ammonia and nitrite but readings of nitrate, then your tank is cycled. :D

make sure your tank has some ammonia in there, so your bb doesn't starve

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back