Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I just got a Tiger Salamander, and he is very thin.

brittnaykells

Reaction score
Hello everybody, My name is Brittany and I have just saved a Salamander from my boyfrends little sister. He was sold to her as a mud puppy from a pet store, so he has been in just water for most of his life. His name is Neptune, after the roman god of the sea. He has lost his gills, and mostly sat on a rock she had in his tank. When I found him, he was skin and bones, didn't move, and was almost grey in color. :( I have had him for a week today, and he is starting to fatten up a bit. I completely chaged his tank, I put coconut fiber in there, gave him a place to hide, Added a water dish, and a few fake plants. I also got him a new tank cover so he can't escape. I started feeding him wax worms covered in a mixture of a multivitamin and calcium. Just yester I tried a nightcrawler cut into pices, and he like that too. I have been doing a lot of research on salamanders, but all of the information is very different depending on the website you go to. I am hopeing that somebody will help me. I have never owned a salamander before this, but I did own an anole, but that is completely different then a salamander. I also don's know what sub species he is. I will post pictures when I figure out how to. :D For his water I have been using a water conditioner that is safe for amphibians. Any information would be greatly helpful, as I am completely new to this. I must say that I am completely in love with my little guys smile though. He is sooo cute. :D

Teeglor

Reaction score
Thank goodness you saved him, it sounds like he was in terrible conditions.

You're doing a good job. You'll get a lot of help from the people on this site.

I always use spring water for my tiger. I buy it in jugs. For substrate I use either a top soil/coco fibre mix, or plantation soil.

You'll want to make sure the humidity is between 60% and 80%.

Since he's skinny the wax worms will be great to fatten him up, but once he is healthy they should only be treats. Nightcrawler's, earth worms or red wrigglers should be the staple diet.

They like to dig and can sleep long periods of time so don't get too worried if he stays under the substrate.

Grey is also a normal colour variant for some species. Pics will help you identify what kind he is and if he's healthy or not. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1