Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Juvenile Triturus marmoratus set up

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Here is my Juvenile Triturus marmoratus (green marbled newt) set up. I use pea gravel on the bottom covered with moist cocofiber. The cocofiber is seeded with dwarf white isopods and springtails. Be sure to tamp the cocofiber down. I put dried oak leaves cork bark and a small dish in. The juveniles like to hide under the cork bark. This setup is a little wet at the time and needs to dry out some. High humidity can cause skin issues. ABG mix would be o.k. if you have it instead of cocofiber.

In addition to the springtails I feed small earthworms, chopped small earthworms, whiteworms, and fruit flies. The juveniles will soon be to big for fruit flies. Pinhead crickets are good food too but I rarely use them. The small earthworms are from my earthworm bin. You will not be able to purchase ones tiny enough for young juveniles to eat whole. The springtails and isopods eat any uneaten chopped earthworms.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 508
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 550

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I put about 10 to 15 juveniles in a small pet pal. An alternative setup would be on paper towels. I find using paper towels instead of a natural substrate to be more labor intensive.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 814
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1