Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Flixi on a Newt Adventure

Flixi

Reaction score
Hi all, I am Anna (Flixi) and I have been a new member here for couple of days now, crawling thought the forum and reading up on all the great content.

I don't currently have any amphibians or other animals, in fact I am completely new to salamander and newt keeping, however last summer I have finished university and started a full time job, so I have decided I am finally in a position were I can pursue this hobby; something I have been itching to do for many years! :rofl:

After much consideration I have decided that couple of Cynops Orientalis would be the best little dudes to help me dip my toes into the world of exotic pet keeping.

Me and my partner, who stumbled upon this great forum and recommended it to me, love growing plants so the dream is to build a heavily planted, naturalistic paludarium, while providing the best habitat for my future-to-be fire bellies.

I am looking forward to learning all I can from all of you, and I sharing with you how I go!

P.s. I am sorry for the long intro, but learning about newts has been so so much fun, and it's great to find a community to share this excitement with! :happy:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site!
Chinese firebellies are quite straightforward to care for and make fascinating pets, but I'd urge you to avoid the wild caught ones available in pet stores. Captive bred ones can take a while to find, but they will already be acclimated to captivity and feeding properly etc.

Here's the caresheet if you haven't seen it already. :)

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

Flixi

Reaction score
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind, I was planning to get them from Dartfrog - Everything for the Amphibian Keeper when they have some in stock again, as they have a great reputation in the UK, as well as breeding some of their own animals, and are within driving distance from me, but I will make sure to do more research into where their c. orientalis come from and what my alternatives would be.

Jensino

Reaction score
Welcome to this Forum!

I don't currently have any amphibians or other animals, in fact I am completely new to salamander and newt keeping, however last summer I have finished university and started a full time job, so I have decided I am finally in a position were I can pursue this hobby; something I have been itching to do for many years! :rofl:

Tuition fees must be sky-high in the UK, if you can't even afford to start a less expensive hobby like keeping newts and salamanders. :D

But I'm glad you find a job and can just begin right now.
I like the idea of a heavily planted paludarium, so please keep all of us updated and good luck finding captive bred Cynops orientalis.

P.S.: Alpine newts would be a great alternative for fire belly newts... just in case you want to change your mind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!