Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Semi aquatic setup for young newts.

I

ira

I am thinking about moving my c.e.p. from their sweaterbox to a semi aquatic setup.

what should i use to get this setup going? i am going to use a 20 long, 2 cm of water, floating plants and a peice of cork for them to climb out on.

My biggest question is feeding. these guys really dont like hand feeding, and all my attempts have thus far been unsuccessful. If i just put blackworms in the tank will they hunt them? or do i need a more controlled feeding method?

thanks

ira

H

hayden

Ira,
How big are they? I would think that would be fine...If you plan on using Blackworms try a dish and/or bare bottom tank...The blackworms can infest the gravel and rot in the water...I had some C.o morphs die from rotting blackworms...

J

jennifer

Once they start going in the water, they will find the blackworms readily. You could also sprinkle flightless fruit flies on the cork bark. If they are big enough, chopped earthworms are the way to go. Some newts that refuse to handfeed on land are more willing to do it in the water.

I

ira

i would love to use fruit flys, but my house mate drew the line there and i have to respect that (seeing as she is gracious enough to let me keep all sorts of worms in the fridge.)

I will put them in the semi aquitic soon and see how they take to it. its going to be a 20L, have everything except the plants.

TJ

Reaction score
I'll be moving this thread soon to the General Discussion area of the Vivaria & Equipment/Product Reviews section, which is "for general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions."

This section here is intended for more specific discussion of fire-belly newts themselves.

wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1