Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP, MOLD!!

cody

Reaction score
My Fire Salamanders enclousure is full of grey and white mold. I keep him in the basement because it is cool, but the mixture of a moist glass aquarium and damp cool air in the basement has caused a lot of mold in his terarrium. I dont know what to do if I clean the tank it will only come back after the first cage misting. The salamander seems to be doing fine he is eating well. Also this terrarium temp varies inbetween 60 and 70 and his skin is very cold to the touch, is this a problem? If anyone has any answers to this mold problem or if anyone could tell me if it even is a problem we would both be grateful (the salamander and I).
Thanks, Cody

J

jennifer

What kind of substrate are you using? Some are more prone to mold than others. Try something different - try top soil, Lizard Litter, or just plain paper towels. Also, try to increase ventilation by using a screen top instead of a solid hood.

cody

Reaction score
So your telling me mold is a problem, ok, I am using a mixture of 2 parts bed-a-beast one part jungle mix one part repti-bark and some terrarium moss on top, and I already have a screen top. Any advice?
Thanks, Cody

D

david

I had a bit of a molding problem at first with these guys. I found that keeping the substrate pretty dry was the answer. I use the shredded coconut bedding that comes compressed. It is very clean. I would blow of the moss until you get the mold gone. Moss is a great carrier for the spores. I found keeping the bowl full of water and the substrate dry led to the salamanders walking in and out of the water. In this way they regulate the saturation of the bedding themselves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1