Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire-bellied Toad tank

blacknova

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to share my 37 gallon FBT tank with you and ask some questions. First, any suggestions for the water section ? I'm looking for some kind of lilly pad esque decorations they can sit on and float. Some friends on Frog Forum also suggested aquatic plants. Any suggestions for things that could grow down by the slate ? I have a spider plant I'm going to add to the "dry" section but have no idea what plants or decorations to add to the water section.

All the slate that is in the tank I tested with vinegar (to see if it bubbled.) then sterilized. We literally have a whole hillside of it, So, I lucked out since I wanted a natural setup.

p.s. the knife I use to cut up earth worms with lol. Has anyone actually got theirs to eat worms. Mine have eaten one small piece, they would much rather chase a cricket.

IMG_0293_zps0ulzpqub.jpg

Pugnator

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to share my 37 gallon FBT tank with you and ask some questions. First, any suggestions for the water section ? I'm looking for some kind of lilly pad esque decorations they can sit on and float. Some friends on Frog Forum also suggested aquatic plants. Any suggestions for things that could grow down by the slate ? I have a spider plant I'm going to add to the "dry" section but have no idea what plants or decorations to add to the water section.

All the slate that is in the tank I tested with vinegar (to see if it bubbled.) then sterilized. We literally have a whole hillside of it, So, I lucked out since I wanted a natural setup.

p.s. the knife I use to cut up earth worms with lol. Has anyone actually got theirs to eat worms. Mine have eaten one small piece, they would much rather chase a cricket.

IMG_0293_zps0ulzpqub.jpg
If you like it you could put some lemna minor, but it is ugly on my opinion(But on pond look nice). So you could plant some anubias nana or if you want to put something that float you could try Salvinia Natans. You could also try with pothos ,pothos grown very fast and you can simple put the root on water, they will fastely "Colonize" the water part creating a very nice structure with root, the frog will swim through it and will use it as hiding. Anyway, regarding "warm" part is strange , bombina orientralis should eat everything that move and look alive. Do you capture the worm or you buy it ? If you capture it do you do in your garden where are not used fertilizer or other chemical product or you capture it just on nature (dangerous) ?

blacknova

Reaction score
I Thanks for the plant suggestions. As far as the worms go I buy them but, we don't use pesticides or herbicides. It may be that once the worm is cut up into small enough pieces it just doesn't move long enough to keep their attention.

philj

Reaction score
I have the same thing with feeding my fire bellies, unless the food is something fast moving (like crickets or locusts) they really arent interested

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

Pugnator

Reaction score
try to take the hearthworm with a plier and move it near the frog, usually the frog will jump and you could give the food this way. You could also rationalize the food this way.

Pugnator

Reaction score
try to take the hearthworm with a plier and move it near the frog, usually the frog will jump and you could give the food this way. You could also rationalize the food this way.
Better some long tweezers then plier. Stupid translator.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!