Tiger Salamander with an injured back.

Ferramba

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an injured Tiger Salamander, and I'm not quite sure what to do.

You see, he is normally kept in a clear plastic container, and he crawls up in the corners. It seems that by getting in this awkward position, he has injured his back. He has, what can best be described, as a twist in his back. As if his vertebrate isn't completely straight. It's now escalated ot the point, where he has a great deal of difficulty in walking, as he seems to have a lot of trouble moving his back legs effectively. And a great difficulty in keeping balance.

I have had this happen with salamanders before, and have almost always chosen to put them down. But it seems like I had one, that was able to recover (though his was a less severe case). I'm now wondering if there is a chance he could pull through.

I also wanted to point out, that while his appetite has gone down, he hasn't completely stopped eating. Although, today he wouldn't eat anything.

Anyways, is there anything I could possibly do to help him? Or should I put him down, so that he won't have to suffer?

I was rather tired when I first made this topic, so I phrased somethings poorly.

It looks like he has a broken spine. It's in kind of an S shape.

Did this happen suddenly or gradually? As this has happened before to other sals, I am wondering if the spinal problem (or the propensity to fracture) is due to dietary deficiency. Also, perhaps a soft substrate might reduce problems with climbing.

I don't think there is much you can do to treat this. Salamanders can have surprising healing powers, so if he's not obviously suffering I'd say keep him comfortable and fed and hope for at least a partial recovery. If this isn't possible, then euthanasia may be warranted.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

It did seem somewhat sudden. Though he has gradually declined.

I was wondering if diet may be a problem. You see I haven't given them that much of a variety in diet, and haven't used any kind of vitamin. But no matter what happens with this one, I plan on feeding my healthy salamander better.

Hi,

With the history you describe (it having happened before), I would agree that nutritional deficiency may well be an issue here - you should get him to a vet for evaluation and probable radiography, to assess both the spine and general skeletal calcification.

Recovery from such lesions (albeit often with a residual deformity) is more likely in amphibians than mammals, so I wouldn't give up on him as long as he's not obviously suffering, as Jennewt says.

Hope you can get him sorted out.

best wishes,

Bruce.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back