Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt ID please

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just come from a pet shop where there were aquatic newts for sale as pachytriton but I'm not sure about it.

They are quite large in comparison with my cynops, about 17-20 cm I think. They have a rough green skin with some orange dots in their bellies, not many, and their spines are orange too. I took a photo with my mobile but it's not very good for ID.

Anyway, any help is welcome
Thanks

Attachments

• 27032009.jpg
    27032009.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 159

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely Paramesotriton (warty newts).

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Despite the photo, i also think they are more likely to be P.chinensis.
Can´t believe they sell them as Pachytriton....¬¬....damn stupid pet-shops....

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Ok, thanks you both.

I think the reason of naming them pachytriton is only not to change the label of the tank where they are. >_< and the shop assistants are not interesting if they are pachytriton or paramesotriton of course, they only want to sell something. Obviously, I didn't ask them for the same reason, they won't know which species is.

Due to their length, I suppose I couldn't keep one with cynops, could I? what a pity...

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No, you really can´t. Mixing is a bad idea in general, but when it involves territorial, agressive newts like Paramesotriton...it´s a disaster. Also, they are WC, and as you say they are being housed in a tank that previously housed Pachytriton(also WC)....i wouldn´t buy those newts. Gods knows what they might be carrying....

OZIRIS

Reaction score
I thought that WC animals couldn't be sold in UE long time ago.

However, I asked in the pet shop few months ago and they told me newts were CB,... because they came from its dealer. But we don't know how the dealer gets them of course. Maybe there are some "farms" that deal to pet shops, like fishes or green iguanas, don't you think that?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s not true...sorry. WC animals can be legal depending on their origin. What´s ilegal is capturing european species(that´s both ilegal and inmoral), but Paramesotriton are asiatic and if the countries it´s native from allow a legal distribution of collected animals, then it´s legal. China for example seems to have a very lax aproach with WC animals...then again the country is vast and the species in the trade are not endangered...

Those are adult Paramesotriton....to think they could be CB is almost impossible. It takes three or more years to get an animal to adulthood....nobody is going to be breeding them in large numbers for the pet-trade...
Those are 100% WC, beyond any doubt, and so are the Pachytriton and Cynops that they might have sold previously.

Bare in mind, petshops are..well...shops. They need to sell animals to make profit. They don´t even know the species, let alone their origin...
They just knew you wanted to hear they were CB and so they told you "yes, sure they are CB..why not...".
Your C.orientalis are WC, my adult pair are too, and anyone in Spain that buys Cynops, Paramesotriton, Pachytriton, Tylototriton and Notophthalmus in petshops is buying 100% WC animals.

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Who knows azhael, there are large farms in Asia for turtles, fishes,... maybe they are discovering new species to sell like newts, and it could be easy to breed there, in their natural land without much work.

Asian countries are breeders and export a lot all around the world. This forum is worldwide, perhaps someone that lives overthere could add any interesting to this discussion.

Anyway, I'll ask again in the pet shop in spite of the fact the answer won't be the truth, and they are probably WC.

Well, I'm not going to buy one, I haven't got free space to keep it :_(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1