Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Breeding season???

Phippsy

Reaction score
Heyy,

i have got a breeding pair of axolotls and i'm really hoping that they will breed soon.
is there a certain period that axolotls usually breed in or do they just breed at random??
i have had them together since i got them and was hoping that they might start to breed soon.

i have also noticed that the males cloaca has gotten really big recently and that the females body has also gotten huge. i was wondering if this is a sign that they are coming into a breeding time or something.

hope someone out there has some answers for me!!!!

thanks heaps Phippsy:D

frogman

Reaction score
I disagree. There is no way to tell without pictures or detailed desctiptions of the aquarium and indeviduals,

lea

Reaction score
Im pretty sure it is coming into our breeding season. The longer nights and cooler weather could start things off. When they start doing the :love:looovvve dance:love: you will know. Keep the water paramters good and cool the food healthy and wait for eggs to come your way;)(as long as they are old enough of course). Make sure you give her an extra worm or 2 after she lays all those eggs :happy:

iChris

Reaction score
I don't really think they have a "season" as far as I know but there are probably environmental factors that get them "in the mood". I had a accidental spawning a few weeks back, and as far as I knew both of mine where female.

I was getting ready to travel interstate for a few days, so I decided to drop the temperature of my tank a couple of degrees by lowering the temperature of the chiller to 16 degrees Celsius. I did this slowly over a week before hand so I wouldn't stress them too much. I fed as normal every second day and did my normal water change on monday and a few days later before I left. when I was doing the water change (the one just before I left) I noticed a few eggs, and came back a few days later to a tank full of them.

Phippsy

Reaction score
hey guys sorry i couldn't get any picks for you to see (my computer wouldn't let me) i don't have a clue what the looowee dance is so if someone can tell me i can keep an eye out for it.

i feed them drop pellets every morning and night and they seem to love them. I've been checking the tank regularly for any eggs or spawn but haven't yet seen any. it looks like the female is getting bigger and bigger everyday though so i'm hoping i might be near seeing my first batch or eggs :)

Skunk

Reaction score
As far as I am aware there is no particular breeding season when dealing with domesticated axolotls. Mine laid eggs after I moved them from one tank to another, I think it was the temperature difference. I read that some people pour ice cold water into the tank to simulate temperature changes in the wild. Get some pictures up of your big axies please! :D

lea

Reaction score
By season I mean.....most of our axies seem to lay eggs when the weather gets cooler and there is less light because the days are getting shorter......
The love dance is when the 2 axies swim around together. The male axie will lay his stuff and then try and push the girl so she goes over it....

Phippsy

Reaction score
hey
here are the pictures of the axolotls that you were after. hope that you are able to help me from these. if you need any other pics just ask me and i will try to get some others for you.

i have been noticing that the two axolotls are tending to hang around eachother alot rather than just stay apart and they are always swimming around as if there playing tag:confused:

i hope that someone can give me some info about if they are actually starting to breed or not. Thanks Heaps PHIPPSY:D

Attachments

• P1070793-web.JPG
    P1070793-web.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 229
  • P1070794-web.JPG
    P1070794-web.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 197
  • P1070798-web 2.JPG
    P1070798-web 2.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 200

lea

Reaction score
If you do a search in this thread and type in love dance(Thats what i just did) 2 come up...yours and another really old one. Have a look because there is a video that was taken from his/her axies when they where shoving and pushing each other around. I would post the link but I dont know how to do that sorry. I hope you get babies soon

Phippsy

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the tips.

My axoltls gave actually decided to lay eggs. I looked into my tank this morning and found a whole heap of eggs attached to all the plants. I saw that the female had already started to eat the eggs so i took them out and put them in a box on their own with the same water that they came out of. I havent yet done the breeding thing yet so im hoping that i do ok.

If anyone has any tips for hatching tge eggs and looking after the babies then it.would be greatly appreciated.
Ps. I noticed that some of the eggs are turning white. Is this a good or bad thing?

Thanks heaps phippsy

Neil C

Reaction score
Hi Phippsy,

Your female will more than likely lay some more eggs tonight so put something in there that she can lay her eggs on like a real/plastic aquarium plant if you have any. The eggs are easy to look after, just remove any eggs that become covered in fungus or obviously aren't developing.

Once the eggs hatch in 2/3 weeks then you really need to be hatching baby brine shrimps to feed them or you will really struggle to keep them alive. You must be really excited, wish you all the best.

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1