Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: First things first

Ifallelsefails

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time forum user but first time poster!:happy:

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!

I'll just give a quick summary of my setup at the moment, i know this is the breeding forum but we will get to that!:D

I currently have 2 albino (is the technical term leutistic?((seen this term used around the forums alot)) adults that ive had since juvenile size around 2-3inches, they're now around a year old and 8-9inches. They currently live in a 3ft 120l tank (will be upgrading to a 4ft shortly) with a fine sand substrate and are fed an earthworm each daily. They seem to be growing up nicely with lovely flowing gills and great skin condition. I do weekly partial water changes with treated water etc, and i have a decent sized canister filter with a spray bar as to not agitate the water too much. Heres a pic of the little guys:

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

Now i added some plants around 2 weeks ago into each corner with the rocks in, only some Hornwort to make the tank a little more interesting for the little critters.

Anyway the little guys had been acting strange for a few days, not eating and swimming around a lot chasing each other. When i returned home on Saturday the 16th of June the plants i had added were coated in jelly and eggs to my surprise!

So having read a fair bit about axolotls i was aware that i had a female and a male and i knew they could continue to spawn for upto 2 days, so i left the eggs for a couple of days before i removed them. I guess i had around 200 in total which have been sat in a plastic tub along with the plants they were attached to since then.

That brings us to today, around 100 have successfully hatched over the past 3 days. Which makes the hatching time around 11 days, as my house is around 20c constantly this seems about right to me?. Here are the little critter's critters!!:D

IMAG0369.jpg

Now i have brine shrimp on the way, i made a DIY double hatchery so i can stagger the hatchings so i always have some food on demand.

IMAG0370.jpg

Now i have some experience raising baby fish fry, so i thought that i would see how many hatched and give it a go. My current plan is to keep them in plastic tubs with daily water changes and feeding baby brine shrimp until they will take frozen bloodworm which is around the time their from legs develop? around 2 months? if i remember correctly.

I am told that it will take around 6 months to raise them to a decent size around 2-3inches which is what my original pair were when i bought them.

I am aware that with it being their first spawning that i may just end up with a lot of deaths.

Anybody have any advice or suggestions when it comes to raising babies?, i just thought i'd share my experience with you guys, as most people just say: Whats an Axolotl:confused::confused:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
What a great first post :happy:

Looks like you are doing well, and I think your brine shrimp hatchery is brilliant :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1