Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Recommended Flow Rate?

bizoot

Reaction score
Hey guys I know Axies don't like too much water flow...
Keeping that in mind, if I move to a 160-180 litter tank can I stay with my Fluval 106 canister filter (which has a Flow Rate of 550 Litters Per Hour and is basically intended for tanks up to 100 litters)?
What do you think?
Thanks.

eglochk

Reaction score
In theory, you can run anything, provided that you disperse the flow enough. Currently, I'm running a 260 GPH canister filter on a 10 gallon tank. (Had an issue with snails and needed to move to a smaller temporary tank.)

To address the increased intake, an under gravel filter was made out of PVC. By distributing the input across multiple small holes, the individual flow is dispersed. This concept is repeated with the return, with the addition of having the water splashed against the tank side before entering the main aquarium.

Despite having five times greater than the recommended cycle rate (five times the volume of the aquarium) there isn't a significant flow; Derpina is quite content in her temporary home.

bizoot

Reaction score
I see but what u r referring to is the exact opposite of what I meant.
U r getting a lot of cycles and as long as the water current is not to fast or disturbing dor the axies, I guess its ok...
BUT, what happens when it's the other way around? When your tank water volume is higher than what the filter can take care of and the filter only cycles the water colume about 2-3 times an hour?
Thanks.

Holly12

Reaction score
Then you're going to have dirty and not very oxygenated water.....

Axies are dirty. You NEED adequate filtration. I have an Aqua Clear 70 (for tanks up to 70 gallons) on my 20 gallon axie tank. I have it on full flow too. I use a sponge at the output to disperse the flow. Perfect water parameters and a happy axie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!