Illness/Sickness: New baby Axolotl floating to one side?!

JacknRose2017

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got this new baby Axolotl last night and for some reason he/she seems to be swimming or trying to but one side keeps tilting? Can anyone tell me what’s happening with the little guy? I finally got it to eat today but it still can’t swim right, is staying at the top and can only right itself when it has something to put the leaning side on

Water parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20

Temperature 59

10 gallon tank with sand on the bottom, 2 hides and a fake plant:(

Attachments

• 2037920E-1212-498D-B2E3-58BAD03E89D4.jpg
    2037920E-1212-498D-B2E3-58BAD03E89D4.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 6313363F-E154-4770-904E-FFA6B3B5776E.jpg
    6313363F-E154-4770-904E-FFA6B3B5776E.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 175
Do you have a current with your filter? If so, make sure it isn't too strong. I've heard of people having some issues with that.

I do have a filter in there but it’s currently not running because I dropped the water level down so he wasn’t just floating all over the place and could rest on the hides and plants

I hope that your juvenile axolotl is already better by the time you read this post but I have had issues in the past with small air bubbles in my juvenile's stomach. I have also had a few that ate so many blood worms that their stomachs actually protruded unevenly and that put them off balance for a day or two until they digested.

If it is only a small air bubble or two, most of the time my juveniles were able to pass them through in a couple of days and they righted themselves. But if there are multiple small bubbles or one large air bubble that puts them completely upside down, I have yet to find a good solution or reason for this and have lost most of the ones that became that severe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back