Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unidentified northern CA caudate

R

russ

I found this caudate last month along Hwy 299 between Redding and Arcata, near Salyer. It was under a rock next to the highway. I thought it was P.elongatus, but I'm having second thoughts. I saw a pic of an Aneides flavipunctatus that was identical, but it's the only pic of one I've ever seen that looked this gray. This animal was more gary than the photo shows. Any thoughts.

RUSS
4841.jpg

N

nate

The photos are a bit blurry, but I'd guess with 99% certainty that it is Aneides flavipunctatus based on the structure of the feet. They can certainly be grey and even covered with greenish speckles depending on the location.

R

russ

I'm leaning that way too. I didn't realize how different it looked from the other P.elongatus I saw on the trip until I started comparing the pics. What stinks is that I was looking for A.f. and that was the only one I saw. I did find A.vagrans though.

RUSS

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1