Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Emergency?? First Axolotl eggs! Tiny white worms on developing eggs!

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
I was surprised to find about 50 or so eggs in my tank about 4 days ago and moved them into a large Tupperware container with a plant and bubbler (at around 65-68 F), and the most of them seem to developing nicely into little beans.

HOWEVER, I was serperating the little beans from the undeveloped eggs (because Momma laid MOAR eggs), and I noticed some of the eggs have little white worms (assumedly planeria, but they just look like moving strings to me) on them! I know that the worms do no harm to HATCHED babies, but mine are still developing!! What do I do?!:eek:

Can't get any reliable pics of the worms really.

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score

It does not unfortunately. My babies are still developing. Her's were hatched so it was not much of an issue since the could eat the worms. Mine are technically defenseless. I am just worried about what one of the posters said about the worms eating unhatched eggs.

Here's the culprit: Aquarium FD - Planaria Small Hair like White Worms - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment, you might also like this thread dealing with the same issue: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...9976-little-white-worms-my-axolotls-tank.html

They're called Planaria. They thrive off of uneaten food. They won't do your hatched babies any harm, but they will eat unhatched eggs so it's probably best to follow Morrison's advice and clean the tubs thoroughly every day, hoovering up all uneaten food and poop. It doesn't mean you're not clean, it just means there's enough food left in the tubs for these guys to become apparent.

I hope this helps!

:confused:

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Well, most "treatments" pose a risk to the eggs, so unless someone knows something that kills planaria (or whatever they are - there are other things like that too) but doesn't kill anything else, it is best to be conservative. I suggest: 1) Don't worry. Axie eggs are very tough. 2) Daily 100% water changes with clean dechlorinated water of the same temperature the eggs are in. Maybe this will wash away the worms. And it won't hurt the eggs. (Don't overdose the dechlorinator.)

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
Well, most "treatments" pose a risk to the eggs, so unless someone knows something that kills planaria (or whatever they are - there are other things like that too) but doesn't kill anything else, it is best to be conservative. I suggest: 1) Don't worry. Axie eggs are very tough. 2) Daily 100% water changes with clean dechlorinated water of the same temperature the eggs are in. Maybe this will wash away the worms. And it won't hurt the eggs. (Don't overdose the dechlorinator.)

Alright... I had been worried I was being kind of rough on them when I was changing the water since I had to pour them into the container, but I hope they'll just be okay then. :/

Some are developing really fast, but the new eggs my Axolotl just laid don't have nearly as much jelly? as her first bunch.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
All my adults are male (random chance, not choice), so my egg experience is from eggs I've bought from other people. So, I can't speak to jelly variations from a given axolotl, but I can speak to egg toughness. They are tough. Very tough. Water changes won't hurt them. :happy:

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
All my adults are male (random chance, not choice), so my egg experience is from eggs I've bought from other people. So, I can't speak to jelly variations from a given axolotl, but I can speak to egg toughness. They are tough. Very tough. Water changes won't hurt them. :happy:

:p Good to hear. Well, then I guess I just post if I have any updates and hope all goes well.

Though I really hope she stops laying.:errr: It was really unexpected (I just got the male in January and he's still pretty young, so I had stupidly thought he wouldn't be mating for a while :p ) and of course they would start spawning when my midterms are approaching.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Time to put a divider in the tank. :happy: Excessive spawning is physically bad for the female. Some axolotl pairs will keep spawning every few weeks year round if you let them.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Yes, there are mesh dividers. You should be able to find some on-line. Or, for fish tank dividers, people used egg crate diffuser cut to size. (I'm not sure it it is safe for axies or not. Make sure there are no sharp edges if you want to try that - axies don't have scales.) :happy:

Maggielee

Reaction score
I also have eggs and noticed white worms. What is it and do how do I get rid of them?

Attachments

• 20230126_152013.jpg
    20230126_152013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1